07 December 2007

A Free Way to Track Nutrition Online That Isn't Just a Diet

For a year and a half now, I've been searching for an efficient and economical way to track nutrition (not just calories) in electronic form. Aside from building my own cumbersome and stand-alone spreadsheet in Excel, I wasn't finding anything to my liking. As a member of WeightWatchers for that year and a half, I utilized their proprietary tool but it only tracked WeightWatchers points and cost me a pretty penny. What to do? What to do?

The answer came in a humble little unobstrusive email from my MyPoints service that lets me earn points for clicking on buttons in emails they generate for advertisers. One such email came through for SparkPeople.com that touted it was a free service to help people track nutrition, go on a diet, and/or adopt a healthier lifestyle.


Free Calorie Counter at SparkPeople.com


It all sounded too good to be true. Boy, was I wrong!

SparkPeople is part of the new phenomenon of "Web 2.0" which includes websites that are free for the user and rely on other income (i.e., advertising) to pay the bills. The other aspect of SparkPeople that makes it "Web 2.0" is that it is interactive with its sophisticated tracking tools, grows as its users provide nutritional information to their amazingly comprehensive nutrition databse, and essentially offers an online community for health-conscious individuals. Technology is an amazing thing when visionary developers take it and create something as wonderful as SparkPeople.

SparkPeople lets me do all of the following (for FREE):


  • track my nutrition (not just calories but EVERYTHING)
  • track my daily water intake
  • set nutritional goals for myself
  • track my fitness activities
  • set fitness goals for myself
  • read valuable health related articles
  • view valuable health related videos (I recently watched one about the common cold that was very helpful while I was battling one)
  • join communities of individuals (called SparkTeams) that have similar interests and needs as I do
  • get emails including recipes, health articles, tips, etc.

That's just scratching the surface! I highly recommend going over there and trying it out (I'm even providing a button below). And don't let the word "diet" deter you--it's so much more than that!

SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet


NOTE: Neither the writer of Rosehaven Cottage is receiving NO COMPENSATION for writing this or for any reader utilizing the link button provided.

No comments:

© 2007-2015 All rights reserved by Cindy Garber Iverson

Copying of content is forbidden without written consent from the author.