19 January 2009

Homegrown Winter Citrus

I've unexpectedly become a fan of growing citrus in our garden. One of the reasons why is that I'm able to have fresh lemons at my fingertips year-round (thanks to the Eureka lemon that can bloom, produce, and ripen all at the same time). Hubby is able to take a couple of lemons off the tree whenever he wants to make up a great vinaigrette or some pan-sauteed lemon chicken.


Eureka lemons
(January 2009)

I've also become a passionate fan of my little Kinnow Mandarin tree. The fruit ripens in winter beginning in December. The fruit will stay sweet and good on the tree for weeks so I enjoy going out and picking one or two for each of us as a treat. When it's nice outside, I like to sit outside to eat my little orb of sweetness.


Kinnow Mandarins
(January 2009)

Our collection of citrus has grown in the last 6 months with the addition of a blood orange, a summer orange, a navel orange, and a Valencia. I am hoping that they too will become favorites.

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I am so jealous of your beautiful garden! Everytime I see your blog, I want to rush out and garden in my non-exisitant yard!

© 2007-2015 All rights reserved by Cindy Garber Iverson

Copying of content is forbidden without written consent from the author.