30 November 2015

Eating to starve endo, MS, and obesity


I came across William Li's TED talk while I was browsing Netflix. The title was a bit misleading and I almost didn't watch it because it seemed focused on cancer. But I chose to watch it anyway. I'm so glad I did. William Li talks about the regular creation of blood vessels in the body (angiogenesis) and how excessive angiogenesis can lead to a host of diseases including:

  • Cancer
  • Blinding diseases
  • Psoriasis
  • Arthritis
  • Endometriosis
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Obesity
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Cerebral malaria
  • Rosacea

My attention immediately zeroed in on the fact that endometriosis, multiple sclerosis, and obesity were all on the same list. I thought, "Could it be that my suspicions that I've had for years are finally being substantiated—that all my conditions are caused by the same issue?"

I was even more intrigued when William Li talked about the focus of his research. He is trying to find ways to nourish the body that will inhibit excessive growth of blood vessels and thereby starve these diseases. At about time marker 12:55, he shows a slide that lists the foods he has found to have anti-angiogenesis properties. Here's the food list:

  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Oranges
  • Grapefruit
  • Lemons
  • Apples
  • Pineapple
  • Cherries
  • Red grapes
  • Bok choy
  • Kale
  • Soybeans
  • Ginseng
  • Maitake mushroom
  • Licorice
  • Turmeric
  • Nutmeg
  • Artichokes
  • Lavender
  • Pumpkin
  • Sea cucumber
  • Tuna
  • Parsley
  • Garlic
  • Tomato
  • Olive oil
  • Grape seed oil
  • Dark chocolate
  • Artichoke (not on his original list but noted on a subsequent slide in the talk)
  • Glucosamine (not on his original list but noted on a subsequent slide in the talk)
  • Vitamin E (not on his original list but noted on a subsequent slide in the talk)
  • Brassica (not on his original list but noted on a subsequent slide in the talk)

I highly recommend watching the talk in its entirety to see the research—particularly the photos of the effects of strawberries and red grapes on tumors. It is powerful!

2 comments:

NanaSue said...

This is awesome, Cindy. I appreciate that you would research and share this info because I don't think I'd ever think of it. His list of anti- foods are both yummy and easily attainable for us in this areal I had always thought of them as "special" treats, but I am going to begin including them in my regular diet. I loved the presentation.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Thanks Mom! I'm really loving including pineapple in my nutrition. All I needed was an excuse to have Hubby buy it regularly.

© 2007-2015 All rights reserved by Cindy Garber Iverson

Copying of content is forbidden without written consent from the author.