28 August 2008

From Grammy's recipe box: Vintage Sunkist Recipes

This is another contribution from Grammy's recipe box. I inherited this recipe box as a young girl when my Grammy passed away from ovarian cancer. Over the years, I have cherished its contents. Some recipes date back to my Grammy's mother El and Grammy's aunt Esther in the 1910-20's. If you use a recipe or cooking tip from Grammy's recipe box, I'd love to hear about it.

To see more of Grammy's recipes, click on the "Grammy's recipe box" label at the end of this post.


I don't know about everywhere else, but here the temps are soaring into the triple digits. I just can't think about food all that much when it's this hot.

But heat like this does make me think about tall cool glasses of refreshment! In my Grammy's recipe box, I found these three practically pristine vintage Sunkist recipes.


I don't know if it's the recipe that I love more or if it's the vintage illustrations. Ever since I was a very little girl, I loved the illustration style of the mid-20th century. There was (and is) something about the shading, the colors, and the printing that makes me feel all twittery inside (that's that best way I can describe it). These illustrations that are included on these recipe cards are a perfect example of what I mean.Well done colored pencil drawings do the same thing to me. I know... I'm weird... Moving on...

These cards were originally printed on recipe card stock in the standard recipe card size. But they don't have any copyright or publishing information on them. And like I said, they are practically pristine which means my Grammy probably put them in the recipe box when she first got them and then never took them out again.

This has to have been a Sunkist promotional of some sort. I wonder if Grammy sent for them with labels. It's hard to say. What I like most about these is the recipes are classics. The drinks would still be as popular, easy to make, and refreshing now as they were over 50 years ago. You gotta love that!

Since these are so beautifully illustrated I thought you might like to download hi-res versions of the above recipes to print out for your own recipe box. I've made them available online at Flickr. The instructions for downloading the hi-res version will be on each recipe at that site.

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

Those cards are beautiful! I love mid-century art- especially print ads and pin-up girls.
I would go so far as to frame the cards in cute individual frames and hang them in the kitchen!

© 2007-2015 All rights reserved by Cindy Garber Iverson

Copying of content is forbidden without written consent from the author.